Tuesday, January 5, 2016

A reflection on 2015

In keeping with my trend of late and sparse posts in 2015, I've finally gotten around to reflecting on last year and typing my reflections out. 

2015 was a year of settling down for us. We settled into our first full year of life as a family of five. I settled into my first full year of my new job too. I blogged less than any other year since I started blogging in 2008. 

My broad goals for 2015 were:
* Nurturing my marriage
* Getting back to myself
* Making emotional and physical health a priority
* Making our house a home; and 
* Continuing to pay off debt but not in a stressful, overwhelming way

I was less accountable this year, I think, to my annual goals I set out in January - likely in large part to my decrease in blogging - but I think I a made a lot of progress. It is amazing the changes or things that can be accomplished in twelve short months. 

Some highlights from 2015 were:
> Good health! 2015 was a much better year health-wise for me than 2014 and for that I am most greatful
> Reducing my screen time dramatically and not missing it. These days I check in to Instagram, Facebook, and personal email only a couple of times per day. 
> Competing in two skating competitions and a few festival skates with my adult synchronized skating team 
> Getting up on the water skis behind our brand new boat for the first time in almost 10 years in July and then going for a water ski every weekend after until mid-September and even making a few good attempts at wake boarding. 
> Going on a trip to Chicago with my girlfriend in September and enjoying adult time! 
> Starting to build a wardrobe I feel good in with thrift store finds and new purchases after seriously neglecting this area of my life for the past 7 years
> Redoing our kitchen, replacing our worn out sofas and switching our downstairs layout to make better use of the space, and organizing a small area in our unfinished basement where the kids can watch TV, movies, or play video games with their friends. 
> Eliminating all credit card debt and seeing the benefits of using a rewards credit card properly (i.e. paying it off in full every month!)
> Rediscovering my love of the library and reading and watching our 7 year old, who struggled with reading since starting school, blossom into a competent reader right before my eyes
> Going for regular massages to help my body recover from years of pregnancies, nursing, and lifting little boys and soaking in occasional hot baths with epsom salts at night when everyone is in bed.
> Spending more time together as a couple and family and not being afraid to seek out help and support when we needed it

None seem like extraordinary or monumental feats that have made my list most of the last almost 7 years I've been blogging, like getting married, having a baby, graduating, or new houses or cars or jobs,  but I think 2015 was just what we needed to have the time to reflect on and appreciate all of the greatness that we are blessed with in our lives. 

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm glad you had such an awesome year! Paying your credit cards in full each month is a great feeling! :)

2015 was one of those big, life-altering years for me between getting pregnant and becoming a mother and I'm looking forward to 2016 as (hopefully) slightly less overwhelming.

Kristy said...

2016 was a huge year for you! I hope 2016 is good for you and your new family of three! I'm sure it will be and already has been an awesome transition.