Wednesday, June 6, 2012

2012 Goals Update

I thought mid-way through the year would be a good time to reflect back on my goals for 2012.

Continue to eliminate clutter from our lives and improve our financial security.
I need to do another purge/donation soon. I have done a good job though of sticking to my goal of being a mindful consumer. Could’ve spent a little less on the boys birthday parties but over time I’ll learn I guess. Our savings took a hit in May from a number of unexpected expenses but I do have a job for now so we shouldn’t have too much trouble building that account back up.

Continue to find meaningful ways to give back to my community.
Big check here. I have been involved with my usual volunteer positions. I have also been working on several writing projects (letters to the editor for the local paper and a feature story on a development issue for a local alternative magazine). 

Immerse myself in my thesis research and give it my all.
Although I haven’t focused enough of my efforts on this goal, I have decided to focus my research so that a component will benefit the community where I live. It is my hope that this will also help me to find work closer to home somewhere down the line.

Cherish the little things.
Well… I haven’t written in my daily journal since the end of March so not sure that is working for me anymore. Maybe I will try something else like generating discussion at the dinner table on the best parts of everyone’s day. B started t-ball last night and I had a surreal moment watching him immersed in the game. I am so proud of him and so happy he found something he really likes.

Act on the fact that "life is short".
I have been doing pretty well in this area. I decided (somewhat hastily) to visit my best friend in Edmonton in May when I was surprised with a decent tax return. I have also been taking advantage of most opportunities that come my way – conferences, speakers, meeting with friends, etc. and I am finding the more opportunities I take advantage of, the more opportunities that come my way. 

No comments: